Friday, July 29, 2011

Making a case for Nnamdi Asomugha

Photo courtesy of NFL.com
I hope Asomugha can breathe in this "Ryan" sandwich.



Dear Nnamdi,


I know there is zero chance you will ever read this. And frankly, the odds of anyone reading this is un-likely as well. But because I am a football fanatic, as well as having nothing else to do this afternoon, I want you to hear me out.

I've been a Cowboys fan for as long as I can remember. This team has brought out the best and the worst of me; from jumping off my couch and cracking my head on the roof in 2007 when Nick Folk kicked the game winning field goal against the Buffalo Bills on Monday night football, to throwing my phone against the wall and smashing it into a million little pieces when Tony Romo broke his collarbone last season, I have covered a wide variety of emotions watching the Cowboys.

Last year reached a burning point for me, for Wade Phillips continued to disappoint me as the head coach, Romo getting hurt and Jon Kitna having to replace him, a 5-11 record, and more heartbreaking defeats. By week 14, I was flipping through different games, even when Dallas was playing.

But next year is a fresh start. With a new head coach in Jason Garrett, Rob Ryan as the new defensive coordinator, a healthy Tony Romo, and Roy Williams packing his stuff and getting the fuck out of Texas, optimism is held in my regard.

I'm fine with the offense, considering Miles Austin is continuing to improve and chase elite status as an NFL wide receiver, Dez Bryant is on the cusp of being the most exciting player in football, Felix Jones is now the full time starter and will look towards getting more reps, and the offensive line is younger, with the addition of Tyron Smith (Dallas' 2011 first round pick), and the long term signing of Doug Free.

On defense...uh...that's where you come in!

The defensive backs are, generously I might add, extremely mediocre. Mike Jenkins and Terence Newman couldn't defend a pass if they were practicing by themselves. Orlando Scandrick can go play in the Arena League for all I care. I can't even think of any other DB's off the top of my head. Having an all-pro corner, such as yourself, would only benefit the team.

Here's my argument for why you should come to Dallas. Right now, it appears that it's between the Cowboys and the New York Jets. I'll admit it, playing in New York and having Rex Ryan as your coach would be unreal. And everyone seems to orgasm whenever their defense comes up in conversation. But Mr. Asomugha, who is going to pass rush on their squad? Go ahead, look on their roster, where are they going to get their sacks? Rex Ryan does a great job of using design to create opportunities where a blitzing linebacker can get a sack. Good for him.

In Dallas though, you have the best pass rusher in football with DeMarcus Ware. Ware has been one of the leaders in sacks since he came into the NFL in 2005 (80 in six years...is that human?). Anthony Spencer is starting to really come into his own on the other side of the line, getting free shots at quarterbacks and creating opportunities for turnovers for the defense. And with Rob Ryan, Rex's brother, coming in as defensive coordinator, there is no doubt that they will improve on pressuring the QB.

But you know that already, you were coached by Ryan from 2004-2008 in Oakland. You're fully aware of how amazing a guy he is, whether it's his scruffy hair or larger-than-his-stomach personality.

The front-seven that Dallas has can compare to anyone elses in the NFL. What does that mean? Your job is a hell of a lot easier. Covering receivers is pretty simple when the QB can't even throw the ball to them.

People can talk about the Jets all they want; how great their defense is, how awesome Rex is, or how close they are to being a champion. But there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, like having the star on the side of your helmet. Being a Cowboy is the greatest feeling in football, and it only increases when they're winning. Every kid growing up wants to wear the white and blue. Dallas always leads in jersey sales. The waiting list for season tickets would make the Masters feel small. The stadium is an un-official wonder of the world. Jerry Jones could kick the shit out of George Steinbrenner.

I can't think of anything else, but I think my work is done. So, Mr. Asomugha, when it comes down to it, you have two options: go to the Jets, sell out, form your own "Miami Heat" super-team on Rex's Jets, and lose to the Steelers or Patriots in the AFC championship...or...come to Dallas, become a legend, play for one of the most historic franchises in sports, and help this team win a Super Bowl.

On the night of Sunday September 11th, the Dallas Cowboys will be playing the New York Jets in the Meadowlands. I hope you'll be on the opposing sideline.

Your move, Nnamdi.

No comments :

Post a Comment